Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I Ate Raw Beef!


In Gyeongju, we tried 육회 - or yuk-hwe or I've seen it online romanized as Yukhoe. Yukhoe is raw beef seasoned with soy sauce, sugar, salt, sesame oil, garlic, black pepper, and a variety of other seasonings. We tried two different kinds - one that was basically ground beef and another that was a thicker, cut beef.
First, you mix the garlic and seasonings. 

Then, mix in the raw beef.
 Next, roll it up with some fermented cabbage and bae (Korean pear).
 
 And enjoy!
 Some people agreed that it was the best Korean food they'd ever had.  I'd disagree with that - but it wasn't bad.  When I came home, I read a little about Yukhoe and found that a lot of people have gotten food poisoning from Yukhoe and died.  While none of us got remotely sick, it's enough to make me glad I tried it ONCE.
 We also had a little cooked meat.  I don't mind certain kinds of raw food - but it's not something I like to get full from.  I prefer sashimi or sushi to be an appetizer, rather than the main course.
All-in-all it wasn't bad - try it if you will.  Most people in my group would highly encourage it!

1 comment: