Sunday, February 27, 2011

Hookah!

 My friend had a great birthday party at a hookah bar in Gangnam (a great area in Seoul) called the Rainbow Lounge.  It's about as hippie as you can get in Korea, or about as "hippie" you can get in Korea:)  I had a great time and the atmosphere was great.  Everyone sat on the floor (not a rare thing to do in Korea).  The band was great.  I believe this was the first time I saw a Korean with dreads. 
 What is hookah?  Well, this is my first experience with hookah...and really, I'm not even sure I know what I'm doing because I've never even smoked a cigarette before.  It's a waterpipe used for smoking in which the smoke is cooled and filtered by passing through water.  It's just nicotine and you can get it in several flavors like apple, raspberry, mint, etc...

There really aren't drugs in Korea.  I read once about a foreign teacher who brought drugs in his suitcase after going on vacation to Thailand.  He got three years, solitary confinement!  So...this is about as dangerous as it gets in Korea.  And yes, Mom...it's totally legal.  It's about the same as smoking a cigarette.
 Everyone gets their own cover.  Koreans are constantly sharing their food - the concept of everyone getting a seperate plate is not common - but I guess they're practicing "safe-hookah."
 Happy Birthday!
 Yum Yum!  I don't know how strawberries are in season, but they are...and this cake was delicious!
Nice pot leaf in the background:)
A short video of the band and some sweet dance moves.  These dance moves fit alongside the "Flower Power" signs.  But all-in-all I really liked this bar.  I'm not really a fan of the hookah, but I'd go back based on the atmosphere.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment