Sunday, September 26, 2010

Jeju Island: Volume One


I just got back from one of the best vacations I have even taken.  Jeju (do) Island is a fairly large island south of the mainland.  We had vacation because of the Chuseok holiday in Korea.  I went with a group called, Meet Up.  Meet Up is a group online that sets up special trips for people who love to travel and meet new people.  I had never gone with this group before and the people were amazing.  Not only did I get to do amazing things like scuba diving, riding a submarine, riding ATVs on Udo Island, laying on three different beaches, etc., I really met some awesome new friends.

It'll take me a few posts to get all the pictures up, but here are a few things about our adventure in getting to Jeju-do.  The best is yet to come...

We couldn't get flight tickets to Jeju-do because of the high demand of travelers during Chuseok.  So...on the way there we took an overnight bus to Mok-po (6 hours) and then a ferry to Jeju-do (4 hours).  Here are some photos of the scenery on the ferry...it was beautiful!



The ferry was equipped with a jimjilbang (Korean-style spa...Korean-style, meaning everyone is naked), restaurant, convenience store, game room, etc.  The ferry also had some nice signs.  hmmm..suckling room??

Don't foreget to check out the "Gife Shop"
We stayed in a pension on the East Side of the Island for the first three nights.  This is our pension.  It was actually really nice and had a lot of tables outside to get together with our new friends:)  It was a pretty deserted part of the island with only one restaurant, one coffee shop, and one convenience store, all of which closed by 6 or 8 p.m.  I loved the unobstructed view of the ocean!!
This is what I saw when I looked outside the window each morning...beautiful!

There will be a lot more to come from my time in Jeju-do.

1 comment:

  1. Where did u stay in jeju? Is it ok if i rent scooter to explore the island?

    ReplyDelete