Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Gyeongbokgung Palace

The Gyeongbokgung Palace is the largest palace in South Korea.  It was built in 1395 during the Joseon Dynasty.  Here, we got to dress up in guard clothing (as seen above).  It was rather unattractive, so we'll keep the full body shots out of the blog:)  They layered about twenty pounds of clothing on top of our clothing we were already wearing.  It was fun...but I wish I looked a little cuter:)

The Main Gate


We got there just as the changing of the guard was happening.
I hate it when my flag flies in my face!  He did it with such grace.
You cannot having a changing of the guard without someone blowing into a shell and someone beating around some pots and pans.
Typical Joseon Dynasty throne.
Time to be serious.
Monument to the Chinese Zodiac.  My zodiac...the boar/pig.
Recognize this?  I came here already!  I came here my first week.  I was so new that I didn't even know what this place was called.  I knew I'd run into it again someday.  When I came here the first time, I didn't realize there was more than this and the museum.
Since I came last, they built an area of the "History of the Moms and Pops."  That is really what it said.  So they had a little town of Korean 1950's/60's barber shops, record stores, etc...
Today I am hitting my 6 month anniversary in Korea.  It has gone by so fast.  I hope the next 6 months are just as memorable as the first.  Thanks to all my family for all their love and support back home, and to my friends here in Korea for making this such a memorable first half.

No comments:

Post a Comment