Friday, June 25, 2010

Korean Folk Village

I've been hanging around town lately because I'm trying to save money for my trip to China at the end of July. There are a lot of great things to see around Suwon/Seoul. My friend, Caitlin and I decided to check out the "must see" folk village right outside of Suwon. It was okay. Nothing too exciting. It reminded me of something you'd go and see on a fieldtrip in elementary school.  It had your basic tightrope guy that you see all over in Korea, traditional farming, houses, etc.  All in all, we had a good time. I'm glad we went...but it definatly wouldn't put it on my "must see" list of things to do in Korea.

The jail was pretty interesting.  Never do you want to go to jail in Korea.  Although it obviously it is much different NOW than what is pictured below...Korea is pretty harsh on crimes; therefore, there isn't much crime in Korea.  I heard of a guy who came to Korea on a teaching visa like the one I have.  He wrote a book on his experiences.  His experiences included, packing some marijuana in his luggage and going to jail for 3 months and then being deported.  It's really nice to be able to walk down the streets at any time of night and not feel any fear.  The only people I fear are the other foreigners here...they are the ones that cause all the problems!
So anywhoo...these are some typical torture devices from way back when...
How would you like to sit in jail like that??
ahhh...no, please...I don't know how that marijuana got in my suitcase!!!
When leaving the jail, you must always have "Head Carefulness"...or just watch your head.
Traditional stone bridge.  If you have any questions if you should cross this bridge, consult the warning sign below...
Traditional toilet...or as foreigners call them...squatters.  They use a more modern approach to the "squatter."  It's the worse when you walk into a restroom and that's all they have.
yes!  I always wanted one of these!
This was literally in the traditional bathroom at the folk village...no lie!  So...are you saying, they read the newspaper while taking a squat?
If you can't read the sign, it says "toilet paper."  I would have just used the obituary notice.
On the way out, we turned a corner...and what???  there was a small amusement park on one side of the FOLK VILLAGE.  Oh...Korea!
We took a nice, romatic boat ride...we had to be careful not to sit on the same side of the boat...otherwise it would tip over...not so romantic, anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment