Friday, May 14, 2010

Jirisan Mountain and Hadong Tea Festival






Finally I have my computer back and it is so nice!  I rely on it so much here and I'm so glad it was fixed quickly.  Koreans don't mess around.  On a Tuesday my friend said they started putting up a 7-Eleven by her house and by Thursday it was open for business.  Every year they add one or two lines to the Seoul Subway...and in MN we've been trying to get a train to St. Cloud for YEARS.

A few weekends ago I went on a trip with Adventure Korea, a tour group for foreigners.  It was great...they offer things I cannot do on my own and even if I could do most of the things on my own, I can't do it for the price they offer...plus English translations and Britney Spears playing on the bus...I'M SOLD!

Kailey and I embarked on our journey EARLY in the morning to meet up with the bus in Seoul.  We headed to a SE province...a nap later, and we were at Jirisan Mountain.  Usually this time of the year, the Mountains in this area are full of blooming flowers and everything is green.  This year, Korea experienced a very unusually cold winter; therefore, most things were BROWN.  The hike wasn't horribly difficult.  Koreans are very serious hikers.  So for them this is very easy...wasn't so easy for me...but I made it just fine.  You'll notice in the pics that there are staircases and handrails.  When hiking in the U.S. you are lucky to see a few hikers...it is so popular here...you will see many stairs on many mountains.  That is great in one aspect because it allows you to go to places you otherwise wouldn't unless you were a rock climber...not THIS mountain..but others.  Jirisan Mountain is the 2nd highest in Korea...but the peak we climbed was only the 3rd highest peak for this Mountain.


Our hotel is somewhere down there...

Woman in Korea always wear high heels...even on Mountains!
I took this picture of a woman on the way up...
And I found these women on the way back down...



Certainly not the most flattering picture of me...but this was the BEST out of three...squinty eyes from the bright sun...
Made it!

Goofing around...
Had to super zoom for this one...small village in the Mountains...


Time to go back down...


We got to our hotel, laid out our beds, and went out to eat.  The hotel was nice...but Korean-style.  Meaning no beds.  Korean mats aren't so bad...but I think I say that because every time I have slept on one, I've been so tired...I could have probably slept on anything.
Black Pig Pork is famous in this area of Korea...so we had to check it out.  Looks a little like bacon at first...

They put hot charcoal under this "pot" in the middle of the table to cook the meat.  Throw a little garlic and mushroom in...  This is a very popular way of eating in a restaurant in Korea.

Afterwards, we rested in the spa in our hotel.  Korea is very famous for their Jimjilbangs...Korean spas.  Korean spas offer a variety of things of what you may expect...except for you go NAKED.  Luckily, it was just foreigners that decided to use the spa after dinner so it was acceptable to go in a swimsuit...otherwise it wouldn't be...necessarily...

Hadong Tea Festival 
The next day we headed off to the Hadong Tea Festival.  It was a lot more fun that I had originally expected.

First...we picked green tea...
This lady means serious business...I don't think she was thrilled when I took her picture...
We were supposed to pick the bud in the middle...

Green Tea fields...on the way there we saw the most beautiful tea fields on the sides of mountains...
Kailey and I decided to try our hand at making real green tea...I didn't realized how unattractive I look with no hair!  The tea had to dry, otherwise we would have been able to take home the tea we made.  Instead they gave us some that was made yesterday...delicious!

Weighing the green tea...
Roasting the green tea...this woman's face is priceless...
Trying some delightful green tea afterwards...

This ride was HILARIOUS!  A video will be coming soon!
There were LOTS of booths where you could try several different teas...all Free


Hadong Tea Festival

Well...this was a LONG blog and my fingers are tired...I have been without a computer for too long.  This was a great trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment